Happy November! Look at the snow on those mountains... yikes! -->
With winter fast approaching, now is a great time to weatherize your van to make sure it stays in great shape during the cold, wet months.
Here’s a handy checklist to help protect your van and keep it thriving – whether you plan to store your van or drive it all winter. We hope you find it helpful!
If you’re an all-seasons driver…
Water & Fuel Systems
1. Drain your fresh water tank
2. Blow your outside waterline
3. Inspect the engine and fuel lines for wear and tear and replace as needed
4. Top up your antifreeze
5. Change the oil to a cold weather-based oil, e.g., 5W30
6. Protect rubber gaskets & weather stripping with rubber care gel
7. Cover your seats and floor mats to protect them from wet outerwear and footwear
8. Camping? Stock up on extra sleeping bags and blankets
9. Add a Propex heater to make sure you're warm and toasty
10. Wash, compound, and wax the exterior to protect it from the elements
11. Let a small amount of air out of the tires to increase their grip in cold weather
12. Annually undercoat your van -- especially if it's your daily driver!
If you’re storing your van for the winterWater & Fuel Systems
1. Turn off your propane tank
2. Drain your fresh water tank
3. Blow your outside waterline
4. Add stabilizer to your fuel tank if storing more than 6 months
5. Fog the engine and drain your fuel lines
6. Top up your antifreeze
7. Remove all food - even canned items
8. Thoroughly clean and vacuum the inside of your van
9. Wash and store all bedding etc. in a dry place
10. Remove top bunk mattress and prop up the loose cushion above the engine
11. Mouse-proof your engine and interior – you’ll find some great tips here
12. Replace all worn rubber gaskets and weather seals
13. Protect gaskets and weather seals with a top quality rubber care productExterior
14. Wash, compound, and wax the exterior to protect from rust
15. Scrub down all awnings with hot soapy water and an anti-mildew cleaner
16. Make sure awnings are 100% dry before you retract and store them
17. If possible, park it under an overhang, shed, or RV tent
18. Be sure to park on concrete or a tarp - NOT bare ground
19. Annually undercoat your Westy to reduce chance of rust developing
20. Cover your tires
21. Disconnect your battery
22. Disconnect your auxiliary battery
… Once you’ve checked all the items off the list, you can rest easy knowing your beloved van will survive the winter in top condition.
Got any great winterizing tips of your own? Share them with us on our blog!
Our Favourite Weather Protection Products
On sale until November 30th!Hook-Up Inlets - save $40Prevent corrosion and leakage by replacing your hook-up inlets before winter hits. Our hook-up inlet kits are custom made from the refurbished molds used by the original parts manufacturer for Westfalia North America. Guaranteed to fit and last!
Use the coupon code: WINTERHOOKUP to save $40 on your purchase before November 30th.
Learn moreSeals - 10% off
Protect your van from moisture and mould by replacing your old, raggedy seals with brand-spanking new ones. Use the coupon code WINTER10 to save 10% before November 30th.
Pop-Top Seal & Cargo Seal Kit
Our pop top seal kit is the best on the market. It's not only better (and cheaper) than any competing aftermarket product, but it's better than the $600 original German pop top seal as well. It protects your camper better, installs faster (with no adhesive required), last longer, and looks closest to stock.
Learn moreFront door window seal
These useful window seals protect the interiors of your doors from road grime and prevents rust from developing. Also keeps your window mechanisms functioning smoothly.
Learn moreWurth Cleaning Products - 10% off
Make sure your van is sparkling clean before you put it away for the winter to ensure it looks and smells great in the spring! Use the coupon code WINTER10 to save 10% before November 30th.
Wurth Rubber Care
This excellent rubber care product hydrates your Vanagon’s rubber and extends the life of your rubber gaskets and weather stripping. Prevents freezing so you can open your door no matter how low the temperature drops!
Learn moreWurth Tar Remover
This great tar remover easily and effectively removes tar, road asphalt, and underseal splashes from your varnish, glass, and painted surfaces.
Learn moreWurth Cylinder Lock Spray
This is a great product for lubricating your cylinder lock and preventing rust and corrosion. It prevents freezing and does not contain resin, acid, or silicone. Best of all, one small canister lasts a LONG time!
Learn moreWurth Rost Off Rust EliminatorThis powerful rust eliminator provides lasting protection against rust and corrosion. Use it to loosen rusted-in screws, eliminate squeaks, protect brake linkages and prevent water from reaching the ignition.
Learn moreWurth Stone Guard – Paintable Underseal Spray
This tough product creates a textured gravel guard coating that protects your rocker & valance panels from stone chips and other road abrasions. Offers excellent adhesion to painted or bare metals.
Learn moreWurth Insect Remover
Easily remove dead, dried-on insects from windscreens, radiator grills, bumpers, headlights, and license plates. Use it before taking your van to the car wash for an even deeper cleaning.
Learn moreBiological Odour Eliminator
No more holding your nose when you've got this powerful odour eliminator on your side! It works fast and cleans deep by effectively rapidly breaking bad odour molecules at the source. Effective on hard and soft surfaces.
Learn moreEco Fabric & Upholstery Cleaner
This natural, citrus-based product eliminates odours and removes mould, stains, and fabric spots. It's completely colour safe and non-hazardous to people, and is quick and easy to use.
That's it for today... We hope you're enjoying a wonderful fall season!